Apply today for the
John Reginald “Reg” White Scholarship
The Kentucky Guardianship Association established the John Reginald "Reg" White Scholarship in 2010. A native of Vine Grove, Kentucky, Reg was a 1976 graduate of the University of Kentucky, School of Social Work. Upon graduation, he worked in institutional community settings serving individuals with physical and developmental disabilities. His career in public service with Kentucky's Cabinet for Health and Family Services included working in the social work department at Eastern State Hospital, the public guardianship program, and adult protective services.
His focus was always client oriented, and his advocacy for vulnerable adults and children was tireless. Individuals who were privileged to work with him were inspired by his dedication, empathy, and most of all, his humor. Many of those Reg served viewed him as a close, personal friend, someone who listened and went out of his way to see that needs were met. Reg retired from state service in July of 2008 and within a month of his retirement, he died from cancer.
Reg's entire professional career was dedicated to service and protection of vulnerable adults in Kentucky. He often expressed a concern for the lack of support for students whose chosen career path was serving vulnerable adults. Reg was a founding member of the Kentucky Guardianship Association, Inc. It is with great pride that we name this scholarship in his honor and present this award to students who choose to work with adults.
The first scholarship was awarded for the Spring Semester of 2010 to UK Social Work student, Angela DeFebbo. Angela went on to the University Of Louisville to work on her Masters of Social Work degree. The recipient of the fall 2010 scholarship was Sara McCullough, also from the University of Kentucky. Her career goal was to work with vulnerable adults in long term care settings.
The Kentucky Guardianship Association awards two $1,000 scholarships each academic year which are awarded at the KGA annual Fall Conference. The scholarships are available to any Junior and Senior Social Work students enrolled in Kentucky’s public universities.
Social Work Major:
- In Junior or Senior year of studies
- In good standing academically
- Expressed interest in working with adult populations
- Willing and able to give a short talk to members of the Kentucky Guardianship Association at the annual conference or a membership meeting. Conference registration, travel expenses and a one year membership in KGA will be paid by KGA.
Please submit the following:
- A cover letter stating your interest in the scholarship and your contact information including mailing address, email and text information.
- A copy of your unofficial transcript
- A short essay (1 to 2 pages) addressing the topic “The importance of a Social Worker who wants to work with the adult population”. Include what direction they should focus efforts in the next 1 to 2 years; what will be the greatest need; and how does social work in particular meet the needs of an aging population.
Submit the cover letter, unofficial transcript and essay via email to email@example.com
or mail to Ky Guardianship Association, Inc., P.O. Box 25173, Lexington, KY 40524.
Any questions can be answered through email at firstname.lastname@example.org
or calling Kristen at 859-543-0061.